ATTENTION All Positions For Everyone Wanting To Learn How To Crew On A Professional Charter Sailing Yacht

ATTENTION All Positions For Everyone Wanting To Learn How To Crew On A Professional Charter Sailing Yacht

We own and operate the top rated sailing yacht in the Virgin Islands.

Our season is from Christmas thru July.

Our off-season is from August until Christmas.

We are now in our off-season and are going to try something we've never done before.

Every season we hire only the best, most professional and experienced crew to work on our sailing yacht.  This year we are trying something different... we are offering an "internship" for multiple positions.  Here's how it works:

If you have no experience, then we will spend our off season training you while you live, work and assist on our yacht during this off season.  You will learn routine boat maintenance that every boat will require you know if you want to work on a boat.  Those wanting to be Captain or Deckhand/Engineer will learn:

  1. Basic engine and generator maintenance.
  2. How to check and change oil & filters in engines.
  3. How to trouble-shoot, repair and replace bilge pumps.
  4. How to repair and replace head macerators.
  5. How to operate and drive a tender.
  6. Driving, docking & mooring ball approach skills.
  7. Catching/hooking mooring balls.
  8. Tying knots, lines, cleats, pilings, fenders, etc.
  9. Splicing lines
  10. If you're a certified diver, then mooring ball maintenance. 
  11. Proper boat appearance maintenance to make a boat "charter ready".
  12. Operating engines & generators.
  13. Operating and maintaining water-makers.
  14. Operating and maintaining Bauer SCUBA diving compressors.
  15. Teak refinishing
  16. Basic fiberglass maintenance and repairs.

Those wanting to learn Chef/Sous Chef, Hostess/Housekeeping will learn:

  1. Operation of all galley equipment:  
  2. Safety & Operations for galley gas ovens and stoves, gas BBQ grills.
  3. Proper BBQ grill cooking skills.
  4. Electric and gas griddles & skillets.
  5. Pressure cookers
  6. Convection ovens
  7. What to use microwave ovens for and when to never use a microwave.
  8. Slicers & dicers
  9. How to operate most efficiently and effectively in a galley with limited space.
  10. Housekeeping duties
  11. How to "dress" and "stage" a cabin.
  12. How to service a cabin in record time.
  13. Cooking meals in bouncy seas.
  14. Timing meals around a busy itinerary.
  15. Creating the perfect menu
  16. Provisioning for guests and staying within budget.

The lists above are just a sample of some of what you will learn.  If you have questions and want to learn more about other areas, just ask as we are happy to give you all the experience you'd like in all the areas you'd like.

These are not paid positions.  This is for you to learn while living for free on our yacht.  We provide:

  1. Living accommodations in your own cabin.
  2. All meals every day.
  3. All the practical training and experience that you need to work in this business.
  4. Small token pay each week to buy incidentals and for recreational fun expenses.
  5. Up to $300 for return airfare.

We are currently over 60% Sold Out for our 2017 season.  At the end of your internship, we will be hiring 4 people to fill 10 positions listed below:

  1. Captain
  2. Engineer
  3. Deckhand
  4. Chef
  5. Sous Chef/Chef Assistant/Cook
  6. Hostess
  7. Housekeeper
  8. Dinghy Operator
  9. Activities Director
  10. Tour guide for Snorkel & Dive trips, and Hiking trips

Our first charter for the new 2017 season is Thanksgiving 2016.  The starting at our Christmas charter we are basically completely sold out until Spring Break, so it's going to be another big season for our yacht, and you can be part of it.

If you'd like to work on our charter boat for our 2017 season, then you can consider your internship a "working interview" where you will gain all the skills and experience necessary to crew on a charter boat.

If you are chosen as one of our 4 crew members, here is what we offer as pay:

  1. Average of $1,000 - $1,400 per charter, (most charters are 7 days)
  2. All meals are provided for you.
  3. All living accommodations are provided for you, living on board our yacht.
  4. Charter uniforms when working on charter
  5. All laundry for uniforms and bed linen and towels.
  6. Our typical charter season consists of 22-25 charters.
  7. Do the math... working 7 months, you will go home with over $25,000 cash.

Qualifications:

  1. You must be honest with a true desire to learn this business.
  2. Ready and willing to work hard to learn as much as possible during internship.
  3. You must be over 18 years old and have a USA Passport.
  4. If you are seeking a position as a chef, then you must already have cooking skills so you can learn how to best utilize those skills on a charter boat.
  5. This is a fun internship, but it is not a vacation.  Please don't think you will be drinking all day and partying all night because that isn't what this is about.  We've hired lots of crew over the years and now we are trying something new... to take a fresh, new, young mind and teach them from the bottom up, how to be the best that you can be, while you learn from the best boat in the business to be the perfect crew member that any charter boat would be proud to have you as their crew.
  6. There will be plenty of time to explore and have fun snorkeling, scuba diving, paddle boarding, wake boarding, beach combing, tiki-bar hopping and such, but remember that your primary purpose is to learn the charter boat crew business, if you're not coming for that reason, then don't come.

If this sounds like the perfect opportunity for you, then please reply right away because we only have a few positions available and we need to get started right away.

Views: 1526

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Leigh Ann, 

I am very interested in this position! When would you need people to start? 

Hello Rachel,

We have one intern on the boat right now and have openings for a couple more.  The sooner interns can arrive, the better so they have the greatest amount of time to learn through doing.  What areas are your primary interest in learning? 

Hello, I'm very interested and can start asap, I hope that my experience and cheerful motivation are welcome, permission to come aboard?

Hello Leigh Ann,

I'd love to learn the ropes! I'm guessing I would need a US working visa then, if I have a Canadian passport?

Thanks

Hello Andrew,

What is your current skill set please, and what areas are you desiring to learn more about?

Are you just seeking our internship program or are you interested in working during our season on our very busy charter boat?  Please tell me more specifically about your interests and desires.

Thank you, ;)


Andrew paul Goslin said:

Hello, I'm very interested and can start asap, I hope that my experience and cheerful motivation are welcome, permission to come aboard?



Philippe Nault said:

Hello Leigh Ann,

I'd love to learn the ropes! I'm guessing I would need a US working visa then, if I have a Canadian passport?

Thanks

Hello Philippe,

No you don't need a work permit to join our internship program to learn all about working on a charter boat because it is not a true paid position... it's an "internship" where we teach you the skills needed to work on a charter boat as you work and learn on ours.  Then those that do want to work on our charter boat for the season, we will choose the best for the job, and those not chosen will go home with a very good experience AND the newly gained knowledge and skills to work on any charter boat in multiple skilled positions, anywhere in the world.

What is your current skill set please, and what areas are you desiring to learn more about?

Are you just seeking our internship program or are you interested in working during our season on our very busy charter boat?  Please tell me more specifically about your interests and desires.

Thank you, ;)

Hello, I am a hard worker who would love to be a part of the crew for the charter season, I have been around boats most my life, in the U.S. Navy, and worked on everything from bottom painting to first mate for a company named Riveria yachts, but I lack certificates of any kind so I would have to be considered a novice. I would love to start with the internship then earn a position on board for the charter season, my skills include, orientation, navigation, line handeling, deck work, anchor experience, and a lot of basic boating skills. I desire to learn more about chart plotting, weather factors, sailing in general, and improve my " navigation by stars" knowledge. Thanks for your time!



Andrew paul Goslin said:

Hello, I am a hard worker who would love to be a part of the crew for the charter season, I have been around boats most my life, in the U.S. Navy, and worked on everything from bottom painting to first mate for a company named Riveria yachts, but I lack certificates of any kind so I would have to be considered a novice. I would love to start with the internship then earn a position on board for the charter season, my skills include, orientation, navigation, line handeling, deck work, anchor experience, and a lot of basic boating skills. I desire to learn more about chart plotting, weather factors, sailing in general, and improve my " navigation by stars" knowledge. Thanks for your time!
Andrew, Below is a list of what you will learn during the internship.  To learn about navigation and much of the things on your list that you mentioned wanting to learn, that would come during our charter season.  Do you desire to learn these skills?
  1. Basic engine and generator maintenance.
  2. How to check and change oil & filters in engines.
  3. How to trouble-shoot, repair and replace bilge pumps.
  4. How to repair and replace head macerators.
  5. How to operate and drive a tender.
  6. Driving, docking & mooring ball approach skills.
  7. Catching/hooking mooring balls.
  8. Tying knots, lines, cleats, pilings, fenders, etc.
  9. Splicing lines
  10. If you're a certified diver, then mooring ball maintenance. 
  11. Proper boat appearance maintenance to make a boat "charter ready".
  12. Operating engines & generators.
  13. Operating and maintaining water-makers.
  14. Operating and maintaining Bauer SCUBA diving compressors.
  15. Teak refinishing
  16. Basic fiberglass maintenance and repairs.

Those wanting to learn Chef/Sous Chef, Hostess/Housekeeping will learn:

  1. Operation of all galley equipment:  
  2. Safety & Operations for galley gas ovens and stoves, gas BBQ grills.
  3. Proper BBQ grill cooking skills.
  4. Electric and gas griddles & skillets.
  5. Pressure cookers
  6. Convection ovens
  7. What to use microwave ovens for and when to never use a microwave.
  8. Slicers & dicers
  9. How to operate most efficiently and effectively in a galley with limited space.
  10. Housekeeping duties
  11. How to "dress" and "stage" a cabin.
  12. How to service a cabin in record time.
  13. Cooking meals in bouncy seas.
  14. Timing meals around a busy itinerary.
  15. Creating the perfect menu
  16. Provisioning for guests and staying within budget.
Absolutely! ! I would love to learn all I can!
My phone # is 716-275-7496, email is 1ANDREWGOSLIN@G******** hope to talk again soon! Best!

Hello Leigh Ann! Saw this post and I would love to be a part of what you are doing. I'm 18 and although I may   be young I am hard working and determined to help in any possible way. I would be interested in any of the positions but in particular sous chef and tour guide for snorkeling/diving excursions.

Thanks for your time,

Ben  

Hello Leigh Ann!  I just came across this post and would love to give this a chance.  I just recently graduate from college and am looking for a new experience. While I have minimal experience on a boat I am a quick learner and extremely motivated.  I also love working with people and am an extremely outgoing young man.  I am currently living in Columbus, OH, but could be out to your location as soon as possible.  I would be looking for a full time position not the internship and would love to learn more about it as I have always had a strong passion for the ocean.  Please let me know if you are still looking for crew mates!  My number is 740-816-8480 and email is crenftle@o******.com!

Leigh Ann said:



Andrew paul Goslin said:

Hello, I am a hard worker who would love to be a part of the crew for the charter season, I have been around boats most my life, in the U.S. Navy, and worked on everything from bottom painting to first mate for a company named Riveria yachts, but I lack certificates of any kind so I would have to be considered a novice. I would love to start with the internship then earn a position on board for the charter season, my skills include, orientation, navigation, line handeling, deck work, anchor experience, and a lot of basic boating skills. I desire to learn more about chart plotting, weather factors, sailing in general, and improve my " navigation by stars" knowledge. Thanks for your time!
Andrew, Below is a list of what you will learn during the internship.  To learn about navigation and much of the things on your list that you mentioned wanting to learn, that would come during our charter season.  Do you desire to learn these skills?
  1. Basic engine and generator maintenance.
  2. How to check and change oil & filters in engines.
  3. How to trouble-shoot, repair and replace bilge pumps.
  4. How to repair and replace head macerators.
  5. How to operate and drive a tender.
  6. Driving, docking & mooring ball approach skills.
  7. Catching/hooking mooring balls.
  8. Tying knots, lines, cleats, pilings, fenders, etc.
  9. Splicing lines
  10. If you're a certified diver, then mooring ball maintenance. 
  11. Proper boat appearance maintenance to make a boat "charter ready".
  12. Operating engines & generators.
  13. Operating and maintaining water-makers.
  14. Operating and maintaining Bauer SCUBA diving compressors.
  15. Teak refinishing
  16. Basic fiberglass maintenance and repairs.

Those wanting to learn Chef/Sous Chef, Hostess/Housekeeping will learn:

  1. Operation of all galley equipment:  
  2. Safety & Operations for galley gas ovens and stoves, gas BBQ grills.
  3. Proper BBQ grill cooking skills.
  4. Electric and gas griddles & skillets.
  5. Pressure cookers
  6. Convection ovens
  7. What to use microwave ovens for and when to never use a microwave.
  8. Slicers & dicers
  9. How to operate most efficiently and effectively in a galley with limited space.
  10. Housekeeping duties
  11. How to "dress" and "stage" a cabin.
  12. How to service a cabin in record time.
  13. Cooking meals in bouncy seas.
  14. Timing meals around a busy itinerary.
  15. Creating the perfect menu
  16. Provisioning for guests and staying within budget.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Share Your Journey With Us


If you have used Float Plan to find a boat or a crew member, or had a good experience using the website, being part of the community or you just love what we are trying to do (make sailing accessible to everyone), I would really appreciate a quick note that I could use as a testimonial on the new website. Thank you, Andrew

© 2017   Created by Andrew Sanderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service