It was an interesting weekend for the group I share a small sail boat with on Lake Travis. I was not on the boat, but the group took her out as normal and while tacking the mast gave up and folded in two. We are inspecting the boat, but it seams as though one of the shrouds broke or came loose at the same time as tacking causing the mast to buckle. Everyone on board was O.K, luckily.

I believe they were sailing with the jib and a full main sail, the wind was strong but not too strong, around 12 - 15 knots.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? It would be great to know more about shroud tension and shroud maintenance, its too late for us and this mast but it will certainly help us in the future and possibly help someone else from seeing there boat in such a sorry state.

Views: 37

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are two major possibilities here, and they likely overlap.

First is fatique or other failure of the shroud.  Have the broken element inspected by a metallurgist (ask a surveyor or a metal shop) to determine the failure, and then inspect every other component of the rigging for signs of similar fatique, replace as necessary.  The shroud may have broken because of overtension, but more likely is that it was fatiqued or had crevice corrosion.

Shroud tension is a work of art, at least to me yet.  For this, you will want to go ahead and hire a rigger to check your rigging.  Be sure to note the tensions and ask questions: the point is to learn, not to have someone do it for you.

From what I do understand about rigging, its likely that the shrouds were unbalanced.

Finally, I recommend a preventer be rigged on your boom.  An uncontrolled gybe like that wasn't the sole source of the damage to the mast, but it was the bale that broke the camel's back so to speak.  It's just lucky the mast took the damage, and not someone's head.  Preventers can be rigged very easily and you don't need fancy boom brakes or vangs; just an attachment point and a pair of cleats somewhere near mid-boom so you can run lines from the boom to either cleat on the sides of the cockpit to keep the boom from flying across should an accidental gybe occur.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Share Your Journey With Us

If you have used Float Plan to find a boat or a crew member, or had a good experience using the website, being part of the community or you just love what we are trying to do (make sailing accessible to everyone), I would really appreciate a quick note that I could use as a testimonial on the new website. Thank you, Andrew

Latest Activity

Profile IconAntonio Bianchi, Glyn, Wesley and 1 more joined Float plan
10 hours ago
Antonio Bianchi liked Angela Hyder's discussion Boat Wanted From North America to Europe
18 hours ago
Leigh Ann replied to Leigh Ann's discussion ATTENTION All Positions For Everyone Wanting To Learn How To Crew On A Professional Charter Sailing Yacht
21 hours ago
Leigh Ann replied to Leigh Ann's discussion ATTENTION All Positions For Everyone Wanting To Learn How To Crew On A Professional Charter Sailing Yacht
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
J Keith Sowell and Ulises Estrada are now friends
22 hours ago
J Keith Sowell replied to J Keith Sowell's discussion Crew Wanted - New Sailboat Owner looking for experienced sailor to help sail from Florida to the Keys and beyond
22 hours ago
J Keith Sowell replied to J Keith Sowell's discussion Crew Wanted - New Sailboat Owner looking for experienced sailor to help sail from Florida to the Keys and beyond
22 hours ago
Aryavrit Travels replied to Leigh Ann's discussion ATTENTION All Positions For Everyone Wanting To Learn How To Crew On A Professional Charter Sailing Yacht
yesterday
Ulises Estrada replied to J Keith Sowell's discussion Crew Wanted - New Sailboat Owner looking for experienced sailor to help sail from Florida to the Keys and beyond
yesterday
Angela Hyder updated their profile
yesterday
Angela Hyder posted a discussion
yesterday

© 2017   Created by Andrew Sanderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service